Skip to content

Formation & Leadership

The History Center originated from Mrs. William A. Watt’s concern for documenting the history of Thomas County. In a meeting on January 23, 1952, prominent citizens elected Mr. W. W. Alexander as the president of the newly organized Society. Miss Bessie Hopkins was initially engaged for the historical documentation, but the Society faced a setback with her death in 1957. Dr. William W. Rogers from Florida State University was then engaged in 1958 to write the official county history.